View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 12:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7107 Post(s)
Liked 11,240 Times in 4,799 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I think someone must have been pulling your leg.
Nope, I've heard of that. Never tried it.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I wouldn't run slicks if I knew there was wet clay under mud puddles, that stuff can take you down fast with how slippery it can be. If I knew it was going to be a lot of wet and mud I'd want a basic set of fenders,
The problem with treaded tires is that mud will pack in between the knobs and be very difficult to scrape off. And the problem with fenders is that, if the tires get really caked with mud, they'll jam inside the fenders and simply not turn -- and be a lot harder to scrap off. Though an Ass-Saver is a good idea.

Three tips, one I've already given to the OP: (1) carry a spare derailleur hanger, as muddy conditions can lead to jammed drivetrains and snapped hangers. But assuming no other real damage, a hanger can be replaced in a couple minutes. (2) Depending on the terrain, the mud is sometimes on the road or trail, and can be avoided by going around it -- either riding, or getting off and carrying your bike. It might seem slower, but it's faster than stopping to scrape caked mud off your bike. (3) Might want to use water bottles that have those little caps to protect the spouts, unless you like drinking mud and cow s**t -- the latter can contain nasty stuff that you don't want, like maybe giardia -- which will make the bottom fall out of your world and vice-versa.
Likes For Koyote: