View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 03:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,294 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Your reliance on alternative facts--and failure to rely on your own experience--means I cannot continue this discussion in good faith.
The outer plates on a discarded chain can be moved relative to each other but I will admit that it took more force than I expected. This chain was a worn out chain >0.75% elongation but not a highly worn chain. I have handled highly worn chains where the outer plates are easier to move.

The pin shows little noticeable wear.

I will admit that I was mostly incorrect about the fit of the outer plates. However, this whole “outer plate force fit” argument is a red herring. The fact that the plates fit tightly on the pin does not mean that that is the cause nor even a contributing factor to the plate fracturing. A chain plate fracture is something of a rare event. I’ll remind you of what was said

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The rust remover didn't break the steel.

What you didn't consider is that each outer plate is force fit over the pin. That means that there's considerable radial stress at every pin. What happened is that the now weakened plates cracked under that stress.
If the force fit put that much stress on the plate at every pin, fracturing of pin plates would be a much more common experience. It happens, yes, but it doesn’t happen all that often nor do people put chains in highly acidic cleaners that have an affinity for iron and then notice that the chain makes a popping noise when they do so.

I have said over and over and over in this post not to use naval jelly on chains and that I also wouldn’t suggest any kind of cleaner for a very rusty chain. Chains aren’t worth that level of effort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: