View Single Post
Old 02-09-24, 09:44 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 231 Posts
58 Schwinn World Traveler

I have been so busy lately I didn't even take pictures of my latest project, a 1987 Nishiki Mountain bike. It's already back at the Bike Exchange in the sale rack.

I did take a few pics of this 1958 Schwinn World traveler.

It was strippped and deep cleaned then given a clear coat to lock in the patina.

Mechanically, the bottom bracket, head set and front wheel bearings were re greased.

The S/A three speed hub was flushed out and filled with 20 wt oil.

New tires, cables and covers, and all bright work cleaned and polished completed the build.

Surprising, given the year, the bike came apart easily. Both the seat post and stem were well greased.

the only thing left to do is replace the shift cable, which was too long??? for some reason.

For all you Schwinn collectors out there, this is not the original saddle. It was in poor condition and I had this Messinger saddle in my stash that matched the bike perfectly.

I believe the next years model had one like this minus the chrome rail at the rear.

Last edited by capnjonny; 02-09-24 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For capnjonny: