View Single Post
Old 02-09-24, 07:15 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Another wheelset of the week built. This time the weight wasn't a concern so it's around 1350g rear and 1250g front with inner tubes, tape and tyres.
I have to say that I like Ambrosio rims. They are very easy to build on. No problems with getting tyres on them either. I do prefer Excellight than Excellence though. And I don't think there would be that much of a difference in their durability.
The latter have a nice touch in the shape of the valve plate, but I have a feeling that at speed I will get the noise of the valve hitting the edges of the valve hole and probably will have to find some solution for that. Another problem was that double eyelets on the Excellence seem to be extremely sensitive to spoke tension. They just won't sit flush with the rim. Which, I guess, is a good thing and shows they are doing their job. And no, the spokes were not and are not over-tensioned. No such thing with Excellight, where the eyelets are probably exactly the same and spoke tension is the same as well.
This wheelset is a bit of an overkill because it's meant for "fast commuting". But since I was ordering two sets of Excellight rims anyway, to lower the shipping cost per rim I decided to throw in Excellence ones as well.
Since this time I wasn't bothered by weight, the rim tape is my go-to Continental EasyTape, inner tubes are Michelin AirComp and the tyres are humble LifeLine Prime Race. I might look for some tan-walled tyres with kevlar bead and perhaps some improved puncture resistance, but for now I just used what I had in my stash. And, in all fairness, there's nothing wrong with LifeLine ones.

Likes For VintageSteelEU: