Old 02-10-24, 12:16 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 64 Posts
indecision over stem

Originally Posted by base2
All that is to say that a bike with a higher stack and shorter head tube makes for an easier conversion. Short, highly angled stems (30-45 degree) starting higher are easier to find for workable solutions. Long top tubes with low stack simply need too much rise over too short of a run...Nobody makes a 90 degree stem. At least nobody I know of.
Looking for some advice around stems for a drop-bar conversion. I have a nearly-complete drop-bar conversion of a 1992 Trek Multitrack 790. It's a 17" frame, I'm 5'8", fits me pretty well but I'm stuck on the stem which is preventing me from getting cable housing cut to the final lengths and then wrapping the bar tape. I've experimented with several stems (my local co-op may be sick of me by now - I've stopped by 3 weeks in a row, picking out a different stem or two each time) and am having trouble finding one I'm completely happy with. A short stem - both vertically and horizontally - feels comfortable, but my knees bump the bars when standing on a steep climb, and my knees bump my elbows when riding in the drops. A long stem feels too stretched out. Also, I'm using cantilever brakes and trying to avoid a sharp bend in housing at the brake cable hanger. Here's photos of the stems I've tried. Anyone have advice on what's worked for them?

Tall adjustable stem - too long both horizontally and vertically, couldn't drop it any further

Quill stem - minimum height is a bit higher than I'd like, but otherwise comfortable

Quill stem adapter + 50mm high-angle stem: feels comfortable but my knees bump the bar, and forces a tight bend in the brake cable going to the cantilever hanger. Also, ugly.

Last edited by nathand; 02-11-24 at 11:18 AM. Reason: corrected "caliper brakes" to "cantilever brakes"