Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 02-10-24, 09:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer

Made it out for 20 miles today, official first ride on tubulars in at least 40 years. Relevant data: I weigh about 190 lbs. and had the front at 90 and the rear at 100 psi. My impressions are positive, the Vittorias are smooth and supple, not a big gap between the Rene Herse and similar supple clinchers on my other bikes. These are 30s, and I run 33-36 on my other bikes except my Mercian which barely takes 28. Most of the roadways I rode are smooth, but one has a cracked surface and it wasn’t uncomfortable, all my teeth stayed in place!

I still experience that a quality of ride which I can’t characterize that distinguishes tubulars from even the better clinchers. Glad I have them.
I've been riding the clincher Vittoria Corsa G+ since they came out. The exact same tire, only stitched up and glued on is just nicer. Likewise, I cannot say why. And - you can go a size smaller without issue. Even two. And if you have to step down three sizes, nice tubulars start becoming the only decent ride. (Cycle Oregon on those tires, only in 25c front, a skinny 23c rear because I really wanted to do the ride on a 1983 race bike. 98 psi front, 110 rear. 150 pounds. Sweet!)

Actually I am pretty convinced that having all the air of the tire cross section between the rim and the road is just plain better.
Likes For 79pmooney: