View Single Post
Old 02-11-24, 09:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by R578645
One thing is that Diy doesn't save you much like it used to. You could just get a used trailer for probably cheaper then trying to build one. It's more of a hobby now.
I saw your o.p. and waited to say exactly this. But, tbh, DIY never saved you money when a factory product exists. The volume discount always prevails, especially when a secondhand market (somewhat) takes the sting out of the first pass profit mark-up.

That said, DIY gives you an opportunity to innovate. Why try to find out what size of bearing is in a BOB Yak? Who cares. If you think a bigger bearing is a better idea, go for it. And why not a 20" wheel for your DIY? That, IMO would make it an easier pull. 16" is a general compromise that YOU don't have to make. What you do have to do is make the thing straight. And I mean STRAIGHT. I wouldn't want to try unless making things like that was a regular part of my creativity. If it isn't yours then, yes, buying a used trailer is the way to go. Cut your losses and get your life back.

FWIW I bought a Yak new in 2005. Someone stole the trailer bag in 2010. We bought another. Given how many years we have had the trailer and the new bag, what we paid for them has absolutely been worth it buying new. Absolutely, no point in even arguing about it. I/we use the thing multiple times per week and have for decades. I never even gave a seconds thought to trying to build one. If I was going to go through the effort of a project like that it would have to be one of those 6' Bike for Work industrial trailers. Something gnarly like that.