View Single Post
Old 02-11-24, 11:46 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
Just skip the snow rides and you don't need half that stuff. I never job commuted but a few times, but have two suitable roadsters. There were some years I rode 6.2 miles to lunch at DQ, when I was retired. Took about 33 minutes, 24 moving, often had a tailwind outbound. Those times were mostly with my Rohloff14. Hydro disc brakes are nuts on a commuter especially.

The perfect bike has a SA XL-RD3 and a dyno SA XL-FDD, both drum brakes that last at least 30,000 miles. ZERO worries in any weather needing ZERO adjustments. A 3 speed will easily last the same with a just an annual lube with the headset and maybe twice a year pedals lube. The GIs are 47/ 63/ 84 or so, shift at 10 mph, perfect for city stop/ go.
My 3 speed is a compromise because it's an old 1973 CCM with a narrow 90 mm fork and 1 piece crank. It has perfect 650B x 38 tires, Dyad rims and 2.3/ 2.0 spokes and locking nipples. Will NEVER break. These fenders are the BEST ever made.

My other new Simcoe bike now has a SA XL-RD5w which I chose a bit lower and much higher speed top end. I chucked most of the cheap alu parts it came with.
Still needs a narrower front fender and bottle mounts. Idiot city bike makers seem to think they only go 10 miles and don't need them. Pfffft. I beefed up the rack to carry anything I want.
I do century miles any time I feel like it. Sweptback bars are awesome, also on my tour bike. The mirror is used way more on highways/ freeways. All 3 bikes have my homemade nickel plated stems. Anything bare alu sucks with scratches and corrosion.
And obviously I do carry way more tools.

Here's the newest addons, chaincase and lights. My last fully enclosed chain on my tour bike went 4,000 miles before needing any cleaning or lube. Tires avg a penny a mile. Tools last forever, some of mine are re-sized and 100 years old. LOL. I have 6 or 8 tools I found on the highway and passed by just as many. I have bike parts that are 50/ 80 years old too. I have DIY metal stuff that was road kill. LOL. I wear tall steel toe rubber boots in rain and cold snow months, on or off the bike actually. The gas $ I save on an all day ride easily gives me free meals. Battery lights are nuts.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-12-24 at 12:34 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53: