View Single Post
Old 02-17-24, 07:43 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. At this point - I took the bike to a different dealer so get an another perspective.

They found that the post was nearly .03 - 05mm smaller in OD than the stated size. Something like 26.55 to 26.57 on a 26.6 post - we both admitted we didn't know if that was an acceptable fit.

The mechanic tightened the bolt using a a shop quality torque wrench - and I have put another several hours of use on the bike without the post slipping.
Here's the deal - I know I had already tightened that bolt to "very large" amount of resistance using a 4 inch allen wrench. That was in August of 23 - I've never heard of a binder bolt just "loosening" up due to time or miles.
I should have had that mechanic measure a couple of other posts just to see if the micrometer measurements vary much. In any case, the post height is marked - if it slips again within this season - I have things too try.

As I said - I appreciated all the ideas - I'll use this thread as a reference if I have trouble in the future - you're never too old to learn something new.
Likes For Richard Cranium: