Old 02-17-24, 08:37 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 368 Posts
Real sandpaper!
That cheap square of sandpaper that comes in a patch kit is not very fast or effective.
I always substitute a cut strip of hardware store sandpaper -- it's much longer for better grip, and the grit works fast. I probably use 100 or 120 grit.

I use a silver sharpie pen to draw a very large cross hair "X" at the puncture, so it's edges are far past the sanded area. Otherwise I can lose track of the tiny puncture location.
The crimped end of the tube of glue makes a great glue spreader for an even coat on the tube.
After carefully pressing the patch (using plastic patch kit box, or screwdriver end) I've clamped the new patch between two scraps of wood, held with a carpenter clamp. No idea if it's helpful, but it's easy to do anyway.

It's been a couple of years since I patched a batch of punctures with a fresh patch kit's tube of glue. (the goal is to use up the opened tube of glue.) There's a lot less debris now on country roads.
Some years ago, a jar of rubber cement from Staples office supply didn't work at all for me.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-17-24 at 08:43 AM.