View Single Post
Old 02-17-24, 06:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Trikes are quite dangerous if used where there is any amount of incline or decline. Noted tendency to flip over and cause serious injuries for the rider. There is a retirement community in Apple Valley California where many of the elderly residents use tricycles with shopping baskets mounted over the rear of the bike and even on mostly flat terrain they have had many accidents with people making too sharp a turn and flipping the trike.

A step through frame is going to be more comforting if you wife knows that she can quickly stop and get off the bike. Hydraulic disc brakes and having combo brake and gear shifters also makes for less stress when riding. Lastly would be to provide a lower range of gears and a 1x11 setup where there is no front derailleur used. This is pretty much what one finds with the "hybrid" bikes being sold.

https://www.rei.com/product/189692/c...p-through-bike

Your wife can try out the hybrid bikes at local shops and see if they are going to work for her.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think you realize what she is riding.

It is not a trike it is a Handsome She Devil steel mixte with spring side wheels added. You can see my revised pic in my previous post.

I'm sure that with the enough speed it will react similar to a trike, but the springs allow it to lean without pulling the center rear 700c wheel off the ground. The side wheels can be remove with QR's and ridden as a standard 2 wheel bike.

The She Devil build is every bit as good as the REI Co-op Cycles. It's running a 1x9 (12-36) to an XTR RD, the wheels are Mavic Open Pro with Tiagra hubs, Deore crank (30t for now) and Deore shifter. The She Devil "with the side wheels" weighs 38.2lbs. Alone it is probably sub 25lbs. I've set it up with the saddle back to keep it lower to help with reaching the ground and not be too close to the pedals.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-17-24 at 08:12 PM.