Old 02-21-24, 02:08 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I know nothing about the original poster's age but make this response in light of the time I have worked with aging people and a significant stint working in hospice...

Cognitive decline is real and shows up in subtle ways that most people miss. I wonder how gradual loss of depth perception and peripheral vision might be at play. I've watched hours of training on this subject and found Teepa Snow's work to be fascinating and insightful. I'm inclined to believe that sensory decline causes us to miss things that we would have noticed and ignored or managed differently in our younger years. Add in slower response to our observations and it compounds the challenges.
I’m 68 and noticed my situational awareness for commuting took a nose dive about 15 yrs ago. Or what I noticed was the increase in near misses not the lack of awareness. I used to unconciously see multiple outs and threatening vehicles long before they became a problem and now it’s the cars seeing me at the last minute so I upped my visibility w lights and clothing. Now in a hilly rural region enjoying the lack of traffic but there’s no way around it, I respond more slowly and just don’t want to enjoy a crash and recovery.
Likes For LeeG: