View Single Post
Old 02-22-24, 08:49 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 117 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1838:

I can't get over how easy this winter has been. The last week the highs have been in the 40s and 50s (F). Most mornings have been below freezing, but still 20+ degrees warmer than a typical February morning. The forecast looks like the trend will continue, at least for the next week or so.

This morning the temp was actually above freezing at 33ºF. I took the hybrid bike. Most of the ice is gone, and the little bit left is pretty easy to navigate around or across without too much trouble.

The other night I decided my chain on the hybrid was due for a lube, so I cleaned it good, then took it off and threw it in my pot of wax. While spinning the rear wheel I noticed it was rubbing hard against one of the brake pads. When moving the brake caliper manually I could feel them binding up, so I disassembled the brakes, gave them a good cleaning and lube, then reassembled and adjusted everything. They were still rubbing at one point in the rotation, so I did some wheel truing to fix that problem.

Saw a big flock of at least a dozen of wild turkeys. I wanted to stop and take a picture but traffic was too heavy so I opted not to risk it.

Shortly before he passed away 12 years ago, my father gave me an AirZound for my bicycle. I very rarely use it, but this morning a driver who nearly right hooked me deserved a honk.