View Single Post
Old 02-24-24, 11:08 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
That means you can buy it at just about any bicycle store. They might have to order it.
JBI #51190 is what is being talked about. This is the common 8mm bolt with anti turn tab, but packaged with nut and washer as has been the case for decades if sourced from a bike industry supplier. For this specific bolt and in the quantity asked for I would charge about $1.50 each. These sell for around $2-$3 if out of the shop's on hand stock. I just checked the JBI quantity on hand among all their 11 warehouse locations and there's only about 80 total currently. The warehouse location, the shop I work with, has in stock and ready to ship to the shop has 8 available as example.

I won't do the math but I wonder if using a common cap screw and giving away the hex wrench too might be cheaper? Or if you're good with welding 100 bolts just add a short length of bar stock as a wing nut on the bolt head, again on a cheaply sourced common (and non zinc coated) bolt available in quantity packages for $0.25 each (or so). Andy