View Single Post
Old 02-26-24, 04:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5060 Post(s)
Liked 8,340 Times in 3,939 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike jambalaya
I don't want a gravel bike bc gravel bikes are relatively new and so finding one in my budget would be more difficult than finding a "great" 90s mtb for $150 or less. I also don't want a 29er mtb as I've already came to the conclusion that I don't want to push that much wheel and tires around. It's like half or more the weight of the bike.
What is your budget?

29er wheels are not all heavy. The Stan's wheels on my Trek Procaliber are lighter than the Enve wheels on my road bike. I have some aluminum American Classic wheels that came on my first gravel bike that are lighter than the Shimano Ultegra C50 wheels that I'm running on my current gravel bike.

Also (just in case you aren't aware) 700c road/gravel wheel are the same bead diameter as 29'er MTB wheels. This offers a ton of flexibility for wheel and tire combinations, depending on available frame clearance.

Limiters on a '90s MTB will be the 26" wheel size and rim brakes. Your tire selection is diminishing quickly. You won't be able to run different wheels sizes like you can with a newer, disc brake-equipped bike.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-26-24 at 04:20 PM.