View Single Post
Old 02-26-24, 05:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5059 Post(s)
Liked 8,337 Times in 3,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike jambalaya
Those sound like quality wheels and they probably are. I say heavy bc my only experience with a set is the stock double wall that my phat cycle rumble 3spd with front disc came with paired with a 2.5 wide cruiser tire and butyl tubes. I've done my frame in one hand and wheels in the other comparison. 🥴 Heavy.

​​​​​​I Don't feel like possibly a 90s 26" will limit my options. Just the other day I seen somewhere. Someone had put 700c gravel wheel set on just the same. I've also been putting 700c wheels on the front my 26" cruisers for years. I'm also recently learned what disc on a open ended fork potentially does.😬 Scary bc I do take that thing over and down the hill with the 2.6 wide specialized tires I have on it. Not anymore freaked me out now but I just use it to go play in the mud after it rains. That being said I'm comfortable with canti brakes on this new project.

I'm actually thinking about getting a cheap fat bike to set up just for mud bc I want to get rid of the phat cycle bc the geometry is pretty extreme it has something like 70 degrees of seat tube angle lol the fat bike frame will allow for ample space for mud build up. On the phat cycle 29er frame which is *aluminum the mud will get so built up that the bike will not even roll downhill with me on it. Canti brakes would not be able to handle that type of situation.
700c wheels will not properly align with the cantilever brake pad location of a '90s MTB built for 26" wheels. If you can find a slightly newer 26" MTB with disc brakes, it will open up more options for you for 700c wheels. Be aware, however, that axle spacing on road bikes and MTBs are not the same, and may cause some challenges in getting things to work correctly.

You seem determined to cobble things from parts not originally intended to work together. In my experience with these kinds of projects, I've gained a lot of...umm...experience. Gaining that kind of new wisdom is rarely as chap as we would have hoped.