View Single Post
Old 02-26-24, 08:09 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts
Help Me Pick a Future Proof Road Frame

I have eight bikes, six of them road bikes. But, alas, none of my bikes has disc brakes nor electronic shifting. And I would like to experiment with both of those technologies in the near future (<5yr). I do my own bike work and I'm eager to assemble and maintain a modern bike like this.

I also have a thing for Titanium bikes. Currently, Lynskey has a good sale on their R300 frame: https://lynskeyperformance.com/2023-...ame-overstock/. I'm considering purchasing one of those frames and then building it up incrementally over the course of a couple of years.

My concern with this plan is that, since I have little experience with disc brakes, electronic shifting, or thru axles, I might inadvertently purchase a frame that is outdated in some way or will be before I finish the build. Does it have current brake mount setups? Current dropout spacings? Current eShift mounting configuration? Is there even such a thing as a stable "modern" setup in this sense or is the marketplace still in flux?

Another way to phrase the question would be, what can't I do with this frame that a cyclist interested in a modern road bike might want to do in the next five years? I'm not seeking a gravel bike and I feel that the 32 mm tire allowance is ample for my needs.

Thanks for your help.