Old 03-02-24, 07:46 AM
RH Clark

Liked 519 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Low carbs will result in your body scavanging muscle tissue which is not good. The way to lose weight is to balance your total calories (carbs, fat, and protein) taken in by the amount burned over time. Look up recomposition for more information.

I avoid ultra processed package snacks of any kind. All I consume is water and dried fruits and nuts while riding any distance and eat a high carb breakfast which is easy to digest a high carb diner for fuel the next day. I have been making my own carob brownies for the past 45 years and it is still a great recipe using carob powder, soy flour, rice polish, wheat germ,bone meal, brewer's yeast,dry skim milk powder, honey, and peanut butter. I like to know exactly what is in anything I put in my mouth.

Carb loading became popular for racers many years ago.
It is my understanding that some muscle could be lost after extended fasts, but the body will not simply choose to burn its own muscle rather than the fat it stored for the purpose of having fuel. Why would the body even store fat if it couldn't use it as fuel?

What causes muscle loss is sudden reduction of calories combined with reduction in muscle activation. The body will reduce muscle mass when it is viewed as unnecessary in this situation. Loss of muscle mass can be greatly avoided by continuing to work all those muscle groups.