Old 03-04-24, 08:51 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Shredhead757
My main concern is that because of the ineffectiveness of the conversion of sugars into the blood cells, due to insulin resistance, will there still be excess sugars building up in the bloodstream, which the the body will be unable to covert and also sugars getting stored in the liver for later? I guess there’s only one way to find out. I know that I struggle (unsuccessfully) to keep my blood sugars in spec on my smart trainer if I am using carbs as fuel, no matter how hard I ride. Admittedly I do not do 100 miles plus events on my smart trainer, just too boring and to painful on the backside. In real life you are in and out of the saddle all the time.
What happens if you simply choose not to consume carbs? Do you get so weak you can't perform? Does your blood sugar get low? In your situation I would be more concerned about reversing insulin insensitivity than logging a few more miles on the bike. Think of insulin insensitivity as an addiction.

When anyone is addicted to a drug, they develop a tolerance over time, and it takes more and more to have the same effect. When blood sugars are raised often and high from high glycemic foods the body has to use more insulin more often than what is healthy. The body develops a tolerance to insulin. The cure is to gradually decrease the need for insulin by eating lower glycemic foods and prolonging the duration between consumption.

The difficult part is that because you need more insulin than necessary, the massive insulin dump drops your blood sugar lower than healthy causing weakness and hunger. Blood sugar can become a roller coaster of extreme highs and lows. IM fasting combined with lower glysemic foods will reverse the condition over time, but it takes a while.