Old 03-05-24, 06:51 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 877 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Here's my partially informed take: Glucose spikes (up to, say, 200) immediately after consuming carbs are okay. However, glucose should go down rapidly during exercise. If you're getting lasting high levels, remember glucose stuck in the circulation isn't fueling anything, so you should be able to back off on the carbs without hurting performance.

Jughed here seems to have the carb management thing down, at least for themself.
That's my partially informed take as well.

The occasional spike, which otherwise healthy people are also subject to, is not a concern to overall health and longevity.

For T2DM people, its a combo of cronic high BG and insulin levels. It's a long slow process of attacking the body with, years if not decades of progressing damage. T2DM is a slow moving wrecking ball.

IMHO - exercise and properly fueling for said exercise, along with a good diet for the rest of the time, causes more good than harm. Even with the occasional carb intake.

Many of us, not all, can drastically improve our insulin sensitivity and overall health to the point of being able to eat small and even moderate amounts of carbs without negative effects.

This process took me 5 years. 5 years of strict low carb whole foods and mass amounts of low and slow exercise. Extreme weight loss came with the territory. I'm lucky that I have some pancreas function, that coupled with the all out attack I waged against the T2 - now I have some breathing room.

In the beginning, one scoop of mashed potatoes would send me into the 400's and I would have high numbers for days. Now I can fully carb up for a century ride and never go above 130.

I understand Shred's reluctance/worry about the issue. I was there for the better part of 4 years.

Now my cycling goals have surpassed what low carb can fuel - so I have to supplement, tactically supplement.
Likes For Jughed: