Old 03-05-24, 02:56 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,838 Times in 2,265 Posts
How's this for an angle? I am not downsizing or reducing, I am Expanding the C&V Market/World!
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Getting some bites on 2 bikes I have listed for sale, fingers crossed, If they show up I will make sure they leave with the bikes! Dragged 4 more out of the garage for assessment/maintenance/stripping as needed.
So I sold my '85 Trek 410 yesterday and once again the buyer seemed like it was there first experience with a vintage road bike. They went to take a test ride and started out very wobbly. I re-adjusted the saddle and got the bike in a easy gear and set them off for try number 2, much better. Now I find out they don't know how the down tube shifters work, so we go over that, I point out probably best to shift while seated (fresh from a recent thread) and how the shifters work. Bike fits the buyer, we have a deal, now we go over front wheel quick release and brake quick release, so the buyer can fit the bike in their car. I demo the amount of pressure you should feel when closing the quick release and have them repeat, not too tight not too loose, until we get to the Goldilocks pressure. Finally, I tell him to check out Bikeforums.net, Sheldon Brown and Park Tool repair videos. Just as I think we might be done, buyer mentions he won't be using the spd pedals and will need to source flat pedals. I bring him in the back and grab some (free, stop gap) flat pedals and swap them out for him. This gives him a chance to ask about wheel/tire sizes and replacement options. Finally I ask if he wants a water bottle cage installed and grab him one from my pile. With any luck he will catch the (vintage) bug like the rest of us
This has been typical of the bikes I have sold, I am not selling grail bikes, and tend to get "newbies" when I sell off bikes. This has even expanded into some of the nicer bikes I have parted with, I think the only bike I have sold that was bought by someone "in the C&V world" was my Paragon and that was a rare bike with a great history.
Likes For SoCaled: