Thread: DIY bag making
View Single Post
Old 03-06-24, 10:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 989 Posts
It is hard to imagine that over a year has passed since there was a new post to this great thread. I'm a little embarrassed to be the one to refresh it--- since I was the last member to add pictures.

For the past month I've worked on a leather handlebar bag. I utilized a steel cradle which came with many vintage Cannondale and other bags as my support. I designed it around a rechargeable battery with a built-in solar panel to ride in the top pocket (which incorporates a window for the panel).

As mounted on my '71 P13 Paramount with other leather projects.

Originally, I planned for it to be made from all red leather, but I miss-measured the top piece with the window for the solar panel. I had used all the red (and my supplier no longer had this hide), so I resorted to the black which I had on hand and used the contrasting red stitching.

Front pocket with magnetic closure.

Cockpit side. Double zipper for main compartment. Single zipper for top battery compartment. The zippers were repurposed from an old backpack.

Side view with rings (behind brake lever) for a shoulder strap.

If you look closely, I added two wide elastic straps to the bottom panel to carry a spare tubular tire, which sits between the tie-down tabs. I also made a leather sleeve to help secure the tire. Finally, I made a tool-pouch to fit in the front pocket.

Tubular tire holder and sleeve.

Tool-pouch in front pocket.

Open tool-pouch.

I lined the interior with white leather.

Thanks for letting me share my latest leather bag project. I'm glad to answer any questions. I also took additional pictures as I made the various pieces prior to assembly (including my mistake).

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com