zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Hi

I just upgraded my bike to Ultegra Di2 12 speed. Previously this one had DA9100. It’s got rim brakes.

Took it out for a short test run and these were my first impressions. Wondered if others have felt similar discombobulation and does it go away?

Hoods felt tiny. Almost as though I have to close my hands up too much to grip them Maybe that’s a side effect of using my gravel bike over the winter with hydraulic GRX levers. I remember them seeming quite chunky at first. But I’ve also used my trainer a lot and that has rim brake 105 5700 shifters and I don’t remember those feeling skinny. This might be something not many have tried as I bet most Di2 owners have disc brakes.

I found shifting down to a smaller sprocket quite a clunk. Think I started to finesse the timing of this a bit better towards the end of the ride.

More than once I hit the wrong button. Usually going up (bigger) on the cassette when I meant to go down.

Top hood buttons seemed a little difficult to locate and the click feedback was very subtle when I did hit it. Took a brief pause for the Garmin screen to change so I was rarely sure I’d pressed it. Long fingered gloves but thin ones. You have to press it right at the front of the little chevron I seemed to figure out?

Things I already love;
front mech is so easy
being able to hold down a hood button to go direct to the Garmin map. Shame you can’t do it for ClimbPro as far as I can tell
holding down the button to slip down a few cogs as you start a descent.
11-34 range
It's amusing to me all these innovations with hydraulic brakes, electric shifting, 12/13 cassettes.

There is one innovation none of them want to do. Make hoods/shifters for various sizes of people. I think it's too funny that the hoods/shifter size/shape is the same for someone who is 4'5 and someone who is 7'2. Wouldn't surprise me if someone 7'2 hands are 3 times as large as someone who is 4'5.
Likes For zymphad: