Old 03-11-24, 09:15 AM
dchmiele1992

Bikes: 2002 LeMond Zurich, 1986 Miyata 610, 1989 Bianchi Mondiale, 1985 Trek 600, 2022 3T Exploro RaceMax

Liked 50 Times in 23 Posts
1989-90 Bianchi Mondiale, with 9 speed Ergopower

OK. I came upon this bike on Facebook marketplace (but from an acquaintance, not a random stranger) for $100. It had Two fuzzy photos and was labelled as Bianchi SLX (since it had no model label)

It was setup as a hybrid with upright bars (with MTB brake levers), a replacement Al fork (thank god they kept the original fork), STX rear derailleur with 7 speed 105 shifters, shimano 600 road brakes and a campy Gran sport triple crank. It was a real mongrel, but for $100, I figured, what did I have to lose.

Note that it is Columbus SLX and based on the Bianchi badges and the serial ID (9.C 3958) I am pretty sure its a 1989 build, but it could be a 1990 frame, as sold. With chrome on the stay, no model label and SLX tubing, I would presume that it is a Mondiale frame.

So returned this bike to some of its C-record glory, but I had no love for Synchro index shifting, so I outfitted it with 9 speed Chorus ergopower (and some Scirocco 20 wheels in a lovely silver finish). I used 10 speed derailleurs because I wanted to be sure I got the correct updated pull ratio on the rear derailleur and I knew that 10 speed was right.

Here is the component breakdown:
Front derailleur: Chorus 10 speed (braze-on)
rear derailleur: Centaur 10 speed
Shifter/Brake levers: Chorus 9-speed (new pull ratio)
Cranks: C-record (53/42), I dont know whether they are Chorus or Athena (they didn't label a damned thing back then)
Brakes: C-record Athena
Chain: C-9 Record (new)
Headset: Record (new)
Stem: 3T Status (NOS)
Bars: 3T Super criterium Ergopower 2 (NOS)
Wheels: Campagnolo Scirocco 20
Rear Cassette: Veloce 9 speed (new)
Bottom Bracket: Athena (sealed cartridge)
Seat: Selle Italia Flite TI Alpes saddle
Pedals: Look

After riding this bike last year on and off, I decided that it is slightly too small for me and that I am going to sell it.

So, what do you think its worth? Is it worth more to sell the frame and part it out? Does it make sense to try to restore it to straight C-record? I only lack the Synchro shift levers and the brake levers to do it, but it would probably cost me $150-200 to get them in decent shape, and I am not sure its worth it. I would love to hear some sage advice on the matter. Thanks.

Drive side

Centaur 10 speed with chromed chain stay

3T cockpit (status stem), Record headset. All new

C-record crank, don't know whether its Chorus or Athena, Look pedals

Athena rear brake

9 speed Chorus (new pull ratio)

Athena C-record front brake

SLX sticker

S/N = 9.C 3958

Selle Italia Flite TI Alpes saddle