View Single Post
Old 03-11-24, 08:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The server is managing to generate a virtual image that includes the relative position of other users in real time, and pedal feel that is unique for each user, at that moment in time. I would think that adding another layer for drafting effect, felt in the pedals, would be possible. I know very little nothing about this kind of programming, so maybe it's way more complex than I'm imagining.
AFAIK pedal feel (resistance) is only a function of your trainer responding to the variable slope value Zwift is broadcasting to it. Drafting affects your avatar speed, but not your actual trainer resistance.

For Zwift to vary your trainer resistance with drafting would require another trainer control variable. I don’t know if this is possible with the current Smart trainer control protocol. I doubt it otherwise Zwift and/or other apps would probably have done this by now. I’m not aware of any other apps that can do this. They can simulate drafting on the screen and you can reduce power to maintain speed in the draft, but your trainer resistance is driven only by the slope variable.

If I’ve missed something then it would be very interesting to know.