Old 03-12-24, 05:33 AM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The other aspect that will increase the life of your battery is to charge it to 80% (90% is OK, but not as good) unless you are going to use it (there are chargers that can be set to 80%, 90% and 100%, as well as even more sophisticated ones).
I have thought about how useful it would be, to be able to set the charger to cut off at some charge level less than 100%. On a laptop where the computer often outlasts the battery, this could be really beneficial.
But an ebike? The Bosch Powertube batteries have a warranty for 800 charge cycles (or two years, whatever is less), and this type of battery typically can last 1000 cycles or more before losing more than 30% of its capacity. 800 charge cycles is at least 70,000 km on my bike. I will not live long enough to put that kind of mileage on it, nor do I think the bike will live that long. So it seems to me that trying to extend the life of the battery is a waste of time.
That said, it's common sense that if you are not going to use the bike for a while, that you shouldn't charge it to 100%.