View Single Post
Old 03-13-24, 08:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,720 Times in 4,294 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
No, you don’t understand, and you not only don’t understand what I’ve said, you don’t understand what others said, because more than one did *not* say use what works best, they said “100% MTB” for gravel, which does not mean “use what’s best,” it means use MTB pedals no matter what.
Before you first responded...

post 2- If you plan to ride anything other than smooth gravel roads, go with MTB pedals.
...so road pedals for smooth gravel, which is what you said you do.

post 4- If the gravel conditions get sketchy or really steep, you might be walking. Easier walking in SPD shoes.
...so if conditions arent like this, then road pedals could work.

post 6- If you foresee any unintentional unclipping, non-dry surfaces, or any amount of walking on your routes, I'd go down the MTB pedal route. I prefer the SPD-sl road pedals/cleats as a pedaling system, but they are PITA to clip into on rough terrain or when the cleat gets full of mud or snow.
...so if conditions are dry and walking isnt a concern, then road pedals could work.

And then after you first responded, but before your second response...

Post 13- I too prefer road pedals, I like the stability and support of the wider cleat.
...so road pedals can work.

Post 14-
I've noticed pretty much every gravel race (or event/ride) around here has been won on road pedals also - BUT - there is pretty much no walking or dismounting for these top guys and gals (Unbound aside).

Post 15-
They should use products that suit them best, and if some of those products happen to mirror what some/many elite pros use, then cool.

You are correct, not everyone said 'use what is best for your riding style and conditions'. People responded with their opinion based on their experience and how they ride in their conditions. This is a message board and the thread is asking for opinions- dont be surprised that people offer up their opinions based on their experiences.
Before you chimed in, some posters said road pedals can work...and they said that while describing the riding conditions that you said you ride in.

Good lord.