View Single Post
Old 03-14-24, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
I used to be somewhat competitive on, and motivated by, Strava, especially following guys my age in friendly rivalry. Even snagged a few all time top tens regardless of age on some tough segments. Never got a KOM on any meaningful segment, but there's no way a 60something year old guy should have a KOM if there are a significant number of fit younger riders on the same routes. I'm surprised I even held any top tens for as long as I did, and I'll attribute those to frisky tail winds. Some of my top tens were eventually lost to younger guys riding pacelines, so I don't feel guilty about taking advantage of tail winds.

And I noticed the local pro team guys rarely, if ever, posted their Strava publicly. I'm absolutely positive they'd have blown away the rest of us, including every over-30 guy with a KOM. I tried to pace behind some of the pro guys on some workout rides and they're on a whole nuther level -- I could barely hang on for a few miles and was dropped on the first series of climbs. I think they kept their Stava private out of courtesy to the older folks who kept the local bike shops in business.

But I never fully recovered from a bout with COVID in late 2021 and my fitness plummeted. I can't even keep up with guys my own age anymore. I canceled my Strava premium subscription last year and just do the best I can now when I can.

This year I'm concentrating more on strength training, hoping it'll eventually help with riding. We'll see.
Likes For canklecat: