cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 542 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
You have quite an impressive list of bikes, and many would be in the Tier 1 class of rare or high end bikes. For sake of the moderators, I agree that this thread is not the place to list bikes 'potentially' for sale as it enters sort of a gray area, and stretches the rules for selling (paid membership, etc. etc. ) but I have also thought about the same idea a few different times - you list up what you have, and in what sizes, and then if someone searches for that specific model, they'll find your post in that thread and can message you.

You have several bikes that have been on 'the list' of mine for a while. Not 'the list', but 'the list'. There is a difference 'The list' is the list of bikes I'm currently working with, and what I am trying to reduce. 'The list' is the dream list, the list if there were no holds barred choices. In order to be worthy of 'the list', I first need to put in the work on 'the list'. I'm in a bit of a dangerous time. As I reduce the fleet, there is the temptation to allow new bikes to slide in. Also, it is dangerous because the reason having...and choosing...for so many bikes is feeling a bit up in the air, a bit of an identity crisis. I get folks who want to have a hardcore collection of beautiful, museum quality 1960s or 1970s vintage race bikes. That is a very specific, dedicated collection. Mine is so haphazard. I think I need to really change my philosophy and start from the ground up.

For example - I think it is probably time to get rid of most/all of the smaller-framed bikes. What is so weird is that I thought my small framed bikes were all 54cm. Nope. They are 52! At least, 52cm C-T-C. That's so weird. How did I not catch that. That means that I can probably hang at 54cm all day long and be just fine. 55-56cm is the sweet spot, 57cm is stretching it, but okay. My PX-10 has a 57cm top tube, and rides great. 58 is the near limit of 'French fit'. And to be fair, I've been learning how top tube length can be more important in many regards than seat tube. That has been a revalation. So 54cm-58cm is it. That little blue Peugeot PXN-10 that I have...it is a sweet little ride, but yeah, I can tell its just a hair too small for me. 52cm. Probably great as a 'racing' bike fit. I'm never going to race. I know it doesn't make sense AT ALL to hang on to 'the Midget' (at 50cm), but its got quite a longer top tube at 53 or 53.5cm, and I think with a slighty longer stem, it can do just fine. I at least want to try, before I say no. But the other ones that are 52cm...the PXN-10...the Gitane...the John Deere...I think those need to leave. That's gonna be hard, because I was really looking forward to the Gitane. Maybe I should try it out.

Although the Ironman is a sick ride, and fits me great, it *might* be leaving. I know someone that has no bike right now (just lost theirs in a fire) and they have an open offer on it right now. It could be a gateway bike for them. We'll see. If so, it was a worthwhile build and going to someone that needs it more than me. And...it would free up one more spot.
just found this thread and i think it was responsible for my sleepless night last night! i just paid another $250 monthly for a storage shed full of my projects and completed bikes i'm worried sick (and somewhat shameful over all the $$ spent) over leaving my wife or kids a burden if i kick the bucket, stressed that i won't be able to get rid of all those bikes (around 20) and i'm just going to skip to the stages of grief and make a move somehow. i didn't really plan to build all those bikes to sell to make a killing on selling them... as a former aircraft mechanic i just like building bikes but it's gotten out of hand (bike project anon founding member!) and i say that as i look over my shoulder at another build that i justified doing as being for the spring time daffodil ride here in newport. and i still have a frame sitting at groodys to be powdered.

i like the idea of listing our herds somewhere and seeing if anyone is interested... just amongst us.
Likes For cocoabeachcrab: