Old 03-16-24, 10:32 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,066 Times in 545 Posts
I have been watching this thread with some interest since it started. I don't have an issue with storage space, but it does start to become a burden with time and resources. Where I live, nice old bikes don't come up very often, so I have used the "opportunistic acquisition" method to buy anything that I see that might have potential. That has resulted in me accumulating some lower spec bikes that don't get ridden as much anymore as I have found nicer bikes. I do try to move up the ladder with each purchase. However, I bought the Marukin last winter because I just wanted a project to work on. But only a couple weeks later I found the FW Evans. And not long after that, the Sears Free Spirit 531. Had I found those two bikes first, I wouldn't have given the Marukin a second glance. The bright side is I got an SR crankset, a Nitto stem, and some shorty fenders from it. But bringing three bikes into the herd in a short time did create some friction in the home. I had gone for a ride one day while my wife was out. When she came home, she didn't know where I was because it didn't look like any bikes were gone. She knew I had several bikes and I was always working on something, but I would always move them around between the barn and garage. Well, when I got back and she told me this, she went out and counted them. Now that she had an actual number, she was less than pleased. So, in the interest in keeping peace and harmony, I need to pare the collection down a bit and only keep the ones that mean the most to me. That will also open up some space to allow a future acquisition if something special comes along.
Likes For Pompiere: