Old 03-16-24, 04:51 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Let me tell you about my first century

1. The club moved up the start time and didn’t tell me, so I rode alone. That pissed me off.
  2. I had a good breakfast but not too heavy. Rode ~ 40 miles, at which point I was out of water. I was hungry too, so I stopped for a bacon cheeseburger, fries, salad and a couple beers. It took awhile before it didn’t feel like a brick in my stomach.
  3. I didn’t feel hungry the rest of the day, so I didn’t eat. I bonked at about 80 miles, and the last 20 was tough; I finished averaging maybe 9 mph. (Usually would’ve been 13-14)
  4. I had a hard time finding water on the last 30 miles; actually had to stop in a gas station and buy some, but it was very good. (Evian)

I got home and had a good stretch, shower and bathroom visit and slept for 2-3 hours. Didn’t want to ride again for five days after.

Main lesson was to eat less, but even if not hungry. Drink plenty, but small doses.

I had been riding with my club for a month or two. 25 miles twice a week and 40-50 each weekend.