StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, Eastern Alpaka 29er

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Looking good. A few comments on these pix:
  1. Invest in a better lock. It's a good-looking bike and that lock would last about two seconds against a thief with a small bolt cutter. An OnGuard U-lock is affordable and good.
  2. You say in a later post you think the seat might be too close to the bars. We can see from the bottom pic you have plenty of room to slide the seat back; just loosen up the clamp a little.
  3. That is a fine choice of tire, and they look good too.

I disagree with this, since you have reflectors in the spokes. The reflectors are much more effective than rim tape anyway. Rim tape is a feature to help sell tires and help roadies save a couple oz. in reflectors.

Yep, a bottle cage is a must-have, but they're inexpensive. Buy one locally to support your local bike shop.

As for your fitness level, a wise member here told me when I started road riding last year: "You'll be surprised how quickly you get stronger, but also surprised at how quickly you plateau." I'm SO much stronger than I was last year, but still haven't lost the 30 lbs. I need to lose; that's going to come down to diet, I'm afraid. I drink too much in the evenings, then get the munchies and eat when I shouldn't be eating. I'll wear my knees out before I can counteract a bad habit like that!

You should also add at least a bright blinking rear light for your safety; it gets motorists' attention MUCH better than without, even in daylight. Might save you from getting clipped. See what your local shop has. If not, a PlanetBike SuperFlash from Amazon is affordable and effective.
I have two flashing red tail lights that I use day and night fpr the ride, as well as two headlights that also have blinking ambers and flashers as well. I have now moved the seat back as far as it will go, hace not tried it out yet but tomorrow im going to do a full day of testing and fitting and stuff.
as for the lock, the bike is chained to a pole infront of a camera about 10 feet from the door of the secured facility that I work in and is visible through a window in my section. Anyone with bolt cutters that close to that building would get deleted pretty quickly. If anyone takes it, itll be a co-worker and I know where to find them...the lock is kind of a decoration to make me feel like a real commuter 😆😆😆😉
Good luck to you on your diet. I know that can be super tough.
Likes For Strawbunyan: