View Single Post
Old 03-18-24, 03:15 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Future planning for E-bike touring

I just saw info on the new Salsa Confluence. I know it's just being release. There are no reviews on it yet, but it got me to thinking.

I have an electric cargo ebike that I have been using for 7 years and it's been so nice to use. I only use the assist when I need help and it is SO NICE to have that option. The downside to that bike for me is that it's soooooo heavy AND if I ever wanted to use it for like a bike tour for anything, it's nearly impossible to change the rear tire by oneself. So, It's my utility bike. For going on a rail-trail bike ride with the family I use my Surly Ogre.

Right now I can't do much riding because of being a full-time caregiver to my MIL with dementia AND helping my teen with autism with school. For MONTHS I've been just looking at options available for things like Ragbrai for a future year (I'm originally from Iowa) and I dream about doing that event once. AND I would like to do a BIG bike tour - maybe across the USA when I'm FREE for a bit of so much heavy duty caregiving.

I had just assumed I would use a regular bike, but with the advancements of e-bikes and even having the ability to carry an extra battery I don't understand why anyone would NOT use an ebike for longer tours.

One of the reasons too that I was avoiding really looking at e-bikes was the price tag, but now? It's not that big of a difference in price between a good touring bike and a decent e-bike.

When I use my e-bike I always use as little assist as I can.. I LIKE using my body, but I also really love having the option of helping myself with a big hill with the assist.

Maybe I'm not forward thinking enough, but even when the battery runs out on an ebike, these bikes have gotten so much lighter that having to pedal without an assist in dire circumstances doesn't seem so horrible.

So, I'm really curious to see the future of ebikes and what it will mean for bike touring!

ETA - I just saw the Salsa Tributary info too. It would be great if there was a combo of the two (which I'm sure as time goes on there will be).

Last edited by mams99; 03-18-24 at 04:10 PM.