canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Don’t those motors top out at 15mph like they do here? I have a friend with the Specialized one and he couldn’t really keep up with us on the flat but it was great on climbs.

I’m almost at the top end of my age cat and it’s the highly competitive 45-54 so it helps me
not at all
In the US e-assist bikes can reach over 20 mph. Legally other fully motorized ebikes are supposedly restricted by federal and local laws but nobody pays attention to that. I've seen electric skateboards and scooters reaching 30+ mph in my area. And I'm seeing a lot of gasoline engine motorized bicycles with no restrictions, licenses, etc., being built as substitutes for motorcycles for folks who can't get a driving license or can't afford the skyrocketing costs of conventional motorcycles.

It's not quite a free for all in the US, but some states like Texas are edging pretty close to unregulated motor vehicles. Nobody enforces the display of license plates, even on the rear -- there's been a flood of fake paper dealer tags throughout the state to get around licensing and insurance, or to get away awhile longer with driving stolen cars (law enforcement rarely investigate car theft anymore either). Vehicle safety inspection is being curtailed for many vehicles and drivers.
Likes For canklecat: