View Single Post
Old 03-20-24, 03:06 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by steph746
..,Would an upright style bike be less safe?
I have used both styles and my experience is that the flat bar is more maneuverable whereas the drop bar allows me to reduce wind resistance. I’d choose a flat bar if I had an urban situation or significant natural surface segments. My current commute has long straight paved and I use a drop bar to reduce wind resistance.

Originally Posted by steph746
….Also, the tires are thinner. Would thinner tires mean that they are more vulnerable to flats?
“Thinner” has two different dimensions.

The width of the tire influences traction. I have a bike with 2” wide tires that are good for natural surfaces and I also favor it when on unfamiliar routes as it handles rough surfaces better. It is marginally slower than the 35 mm I use on my drop bar commuter. I have an old “racing” bike with 25 mm tires and I wouldn’t use those for a daily commute.

The other “thinner” is amount of rubber and layers. The more thickness there is, the more puncture resistant and longer wear life. Tradeoff is more weight, rolling resistance and duller feel.

A couple of other considerations:

1. Ability to add fenders and racks in the future is important. If you stick with it you’ll probably want those additions.

2. Suspension adds weight but can be good for frequent rough surfaces.

my 2 cents.