View Single Post
Old 03-23-24, 06:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
You just reminded me... I have a small fixed blade with multi-position plastic sheath it snaps into, that a former whitewater kayak and raft guide gave to me when he went out of business, I think that was his PFD knife for the same purpose. I did a lot of favors for him so he gave me a bunch of stuff. Half straight, half serrated, with a strong tanto tip. Just pulled it out from my giant box'o'knives, I'll be darned if the blade isn't exactly 3.5", so legal carry. The other 3.5" knife I was thinking of buying would be a better blade shape to double as a trail cooking knife, but it's nice to know I have this one for now, not that I am thinking of biking in the area of the attack, so not urgent.

It's too bad that having a long bayonet on the bike would be way outside of legal code, because I saw a study that said, for someone not extremely well trained with an edged weapon, especially a heavy swinging one, the most effective and simplest defensive weapon is a poking stick (non-thrown spear), which is why soldiers are taught to use a bayonet on the end of a rifle, it's a much better standoff weapon than trying to competently use other large edged weapons. So that on the end of a solid staff would be ideal I think.
The odds of needing it are remote enough that I am unlikely to carry it, but something lke the tekna is what I'd carry if I were to carry one for that purpose. I just might consider it if I rode every day somewhere with lots of cougars especially if there were recent issues with them. That said, I have ridden a good bit in the Sierras and Cascades and never bothered or even considered it.
https://www.tek-tite.com/proddetail....dge_Dive_Knife

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-23-24 at 07:21 AM.