View Single Post
Old 03-25-24, 12:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,091 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Do you still have another "fully vintage" bike? If so, and as long as you didn't cut off the derailleur hanger, you're all good. Ride what you like.
+1. My favorite bikes are the ones with old lugged steel frames and Campy 10sp triple drivetrains, complete with Ergo levers, SPDs and dual-pivot brakes (Tektros because of reach requirements). I also have a couple Eroica/Cino compliant bikes and I agree with you - they are fun to ride, but not as much fun as the ones with more modern. components.

Where I personally draw the line is at four-arm cranksets. I started off thinking they were ugly as sin. I thought I might get used to them over time. Hasn't happened and I don't think it will. But that's just me.

Also, I will never ride a wheel with fewer than 32 spokes, both because of my (large) size and because of the aesthetics. And if I break a spoke on a ride (which happens waaaaay less often than it did BITD), I don't want the rim deforming so much that I can't ride home. Again, that's just me.

So ride what you like and don't worry about whether I am judging you. I probably am, but I'll keep my mouth shut - mostly.