View Single Post
Old 03-25-24, 05:53 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL7, 2022 Kona Dew+

Liked 240 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by efriis@mac.com
I’ve had hundreds of bikes. I’ve had 10’s of really nice vintage bikes, but here’s the thing…

Long Sunday rides on a vintage bike, while nostalgic, are painful and not as fun as I remember. So I took a ‘84 Colnago Super and swapped the drivetrain for a SRAM Axs, the wheels for DT Swiss p1400 oxic, the brakes for Ultegra R8000, carbon fork, carbon bars.

The owner of the local vintage shop won’t even talk to me anymore, and the purests in my social circles have shunned me.

Im lonely, but I love riding it and I suppose that’s all that matters.
Tough road. I say 'screw em', ride what works for you & get on with it!

I have a 1972 Motobecane Grand Record I bought on Easter Sunday 1972 (52nd anniversary this weekend!) I just started riding once again last summer.

Today I finished 'adapting' it for trainer use (before the outdoor riding season shows its face here) by learning how to lace then true a 'donor' clincher rim onto an eBay vintage Campy NT hub (same as what it came with back then) so I could mount a proper trainer tire for an attempt at a pre-season "get into shape".

Local LBS staffer said last year I'm prolly the only tubular rider in the whole county... which is just fine by me thanks.

It's your bike, it's your 'pursuit of happiness', it's your life. Ignore the naysayers despite the temporary pain you might feel. You'll get over it.

(PS - if it helps anyone understand my position, I'll be 75 in two weeks....)