View Single Post
Old 03-26-24, 09:20 AM
Sentinel1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
I don't know about that, I commuted daily on my Helios modded to match verge x18 from the Cotswolds (1mile from CH White) to Swindon (70K round trip) on tarmac and smooth gravel path.

On my gravel bike, 50mm tyres are faster than my 35mm tyres hence the 35 not in use. on Rolling resistance website, the conti are in the 16 to 20W loss and the panaracer are at 23-25W.
Now the tyre from tour de France are designed differently and the RR is in the low 10 (11-12)W so of course they will be faster than a XC race tyre but these super roady tyres are not available in 406 or 451.

Going back to the X11 (great bike by the way), there are things that makes it faster:
the drive train is a mixture of Sram force 1 and GX which are the mid level like ultegra/SLX/XT which are younger and better than X18 capreo/tiagra/sora. the x11 is going to be smoother with less transmission waste.
the x11 and x18 have similar specced wheels and tyres so 451 will be easier to keep spinning.
the disc brakes allow for later deceleration so faster transitions
Great Post. Wow you are alot fitter than me then that's all I can say. When I worked I commuted a 13 mile round trip from Purley to Woldingham. And that was enough for me in a day. Yes it's true I find it easier to barrel up to speed keep it there for longer on the X11 than I could on the smaller bikes. For the same reason you will never see a 20 inch bike win the Tour De France. Over that long tour. The 700c wheels will drop any rider on 406/451 wheels. That said if my memory serves me right. The speed record for an upright bike remains 51mph set in 1986 by Jim Glover on a Moulton 17 inch wheel bike indoors. So over a short distance. Small wheels can rule.

The Tern Verge X11. One folder to rule them ALL..

Last edited by Sentinel1; 03-26-24 at 09:59 AM.