View Single Post
Old 03-30-24, 05:19 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 423 Posts
I've got time in with VO Crazy Bars and the Jones SG riser Loop. Neither are perfect, but after enough stem swaps, I settled. I have trigger shifters on both, and my natural hand position is on the "joint" with the top bends of a drop bar, and where the shifter and brake bands are, so for long rides getting the padding right is important.

If I was buying them again I would do things differently. With the Crazy Bars being built "flat" if you angle the grips down for ergonomics, the horns are wrong for a riding on the hoods position
I think Koga has a similar bar (Deja?) that is bent in the correct angle. Soma also has a Clarence bar, which I also ride, that they sell adjustable add on horns. I have a set of cheap bar ends on the Clarence, that sort of work.

With the Jones SG riser bar, the "riser" part helps get the bar up with less of a plumbers nightmare of a stem set up, but you loose hand position real-estate, and some of the useable hand grip, because trigger shifter pods get pushed back by the "riser" bend.

Over all I dont think this style of handle bar is a drop bar replacement on a road bike, but more of a one primary position swept back bar for semi up right riding, that lets' you stretch out forward a bit for relief, or aero, and have a super wide upright back position for relief, looking around and lots of leverage if things get squirrely with a large load or live cargo..

I also like butterfly bars. I had a set with added on bar ends that had lots of hand positions and a real aero position with the bar ends.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-30-24 at 05:47 AM.
Likes For bark_eater: