View Single Post
Old 03-30-24, 09:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked 11,352 Times in 4,850 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm in between @rekmeyata's point of view and those who use every feature of every gadget. So I'd like to know what a radar can offer me. I use a rear view mirror and other gadgetry, and I listen and look well. I've been riding on streets for 49 years. A radar will tell me that a vehicle is behind me, but how will it enhance what I already have? When there's nothing but traffic as far as the eye can see, I already know there are cars coming at me from every direction. What new information will it give me?
I use Varia, and I agree that it is unhelpful for urban environments since there are always (more or less) cars approaching from the rear. In such an environment, I just ride as if there are always cars coming up behind me.

Varia's real usefulness is outside of urban areas, where an approaching car may take me by surprise. I ride mostly on rural paved and gravel roads with little traffic, and between my hearing loss and the constant wind, it's often hard to hear cars approaching from behind me. Varia is extremely useful for such riding, and I use it for every single such ride.
Likes For Koyote: