mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by str
so your using the "CAR" option to plan a bike trip¿ did I miss something? This can't be never ever an interesting scenic cycling tour.
Unrelated to AI, but sure there are parts of the US where I find "Google Maps, avoid highways" to create better routes for my riding choices than the cycling directions. A number of areas are sparsely populated and traffic counts are not particularly high. The bike choices will go miles out of my way and be hit/miss as far as extended sections of gravel and no services. I've done a lot of riding in western US with this mode of maps.

Now in this particular case, I am actually riding between Alamogordo and Lubbock. It is an arid region and I wouldn't describe it as particularly scenic in any case. For example, between Roswell and Tatum I expect 75 miles of one highway - with moderate traffic. The only "service" is a rest area about 50 miles in where signs say the water is non-potable. Not quite enough water to grow much or have much livestock along the way. However still an interesting ride and it "connects" other places I've ridden together.
Likes For mev: