View Single Post
Old 03-31-24, 10:46 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 4,133 Times in 2,762 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinehurst
Hey thank-you! My wife loves her Gazelle and you are 100% right about the Ultimate C380+. Very solid ebike. I saw the Eclipse online last week and when I went to the local dealer to ask about it, they did not have one. They looked it up and because it is a Class 3 bike it is technically illegal here in Canada. The latest legal version of the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ that's available here comes with a 75nm Performance Line Smart System Bosch and 625wh battery along with the Kiox 300 display. It comes with the gates carbon belt and Enviolo CVT. The one they had in the shop had Suntour NVX30 lockable front shocks but no bottle holder mounts and the dealer claimed that the bike did not come equipped with a suspension seat post - though he was willing to swap one in.. Battery weighs 10lbs. So it has many of the same features as the Eclipse but smaller battery and motor. Newer display is nice. Probably it is put together to comply with the Class 1 category of bikes that are legal here. Tag on it is roughly $4700USD.
You cannot run a S-Pedelec up there? Yeesh, that is a stinker, luckily I am not one of those Americans who is like "something bad happened move to Canada" I wouldn't want to be without my class 3 babies because they are ridden on the road in traffic and I like having the ability to get to 28mph (or close to it) not that I am doing it that often I usually am not but the ability is nice though if needed be I would make do if I had to.

The Eclipse is pretty new so I am not surprised that they don't have it, I am excited to see one in person I am hoping our local rep can bring one by but I know he doesn't usually have any stock of them but maybe he can lay his hands one because it looks close to perfection in a Gazelle.

The Ultimate is still a great bike though you will be happy on it.

In terms of seatpost what they use is junky garbage and generally anyone with a suspension post that isn't Kinekt isn't worth worrying about and take the post as replaceable and if a Cane Creek Thudbuster re-sellable. A pogo post is just a cheap crappy selling tool it is not worth anything and will eventually develop more play than it already has and can easily start to turn into a captains chair where it will spin around. It goes up and down which doesn't help your knees whereas the Kinekt goes down and back to keep your knees relatively in the same position will isolating you from the bumps and you can tune it with different springs for your weight or desired ride quality. Truly wroth every penny. I have 3 of them on different bikes and I think I have another in a box because I have the wrong size one on a bike that is shimmed and I wanted to replace it and be able to have the 27.2 for other bikes since that is my most common size. Now keep in mind my knock of the seatpost used is not a knock towards Gazelle specifically as a lot of manufacturers put a similar post on their bike and they are all the same.