View Single Post
Old 03-31-24, 01:19 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Looking at your pictures, it seems that your spokes about 3mm short, if targeting between bottom of slot & top. Have you double checked that the lacing is correct? If you followed Sheldon's procedure, the lacing should be quite straightforward. An early sign of a problem should have been seen when you started to get to a baseline of nipple position. Most do this step by setting all nipples so a consistent # of treads remain visible (normally just when the last tread goes into the nipple).

Looked at the specs of the hub & rim, and would guess that the rim's ERD is wrong, or the spoke hole circle is mistaken. The hub's offset has a lesser effect on the spoke calculation.

There may have been a change made to the cup used to connect the double walled rim bed. Also, hard to say what assumption was made in 'spoke end' position when their measurement was taken.

It is always advisable to take actual measurements of ERD, whenever feasible. Procedure available online and will allow you to know exactly where the 'target' is for your calculation and whether to round up or down.
Thank you. The lacing is correct. I was head scratching for a bit because things did get wonky at first. The guys over at C&V helped me with that one.

I started the process by getting all of the spokes to the same length as you suggest. That's when I noticed how short things seemed. With about a thread showing my tension seemed very high.

Since I still have another rim and hub to build I think I'll keep the front as is for now. I'll remeasure and get appropriate spokes for the rear. Then I'll be prepared.to rebuild the front of things go south.