Old 03-31-24, 02:08 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I can’t tell if you’re spinning a wild conspiracy theory or just grouchy about the bike industry moving away from your preferences.

Your statement contradicts your statement.

A $2000 (105 trim level) road bike was never sub 15lbs, in any era.

A disc brake bike under 15lbs is achievable. I think that Rodriguez and some others might even have steel bikes that fit this description. Not cheaply.

The UCI weight limit is 6.8kg. Wouldn’t it make sense to build the bike more aero and stronger at that weight than to go under just to make a very small group happy?
He's a broken record that gripes, with a singular focus, on bike weight. I almost admire his ability to completely ignore the arguments that usually discredit the substance of his rants.

Maybe my scale is crap, but even my uber-light climbing frame with rim-brakes, shallow carbon wheels, and Ultegra, was a bit of a struggle to get down to sub 15lbs. It's even from Dave's golden era of lightweight frames from about a decade ago, about 750 grams for the frame.

It's light and snappy up hills, but I'm still more likely to grab my 18lb disc brake bike. The discs and ability to fit larger tires, are a couple of the features that I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for. Even that's not a like comparison, the equivalent modern climbing bike with disc brakes is only going to give up about a 1lb...which is totally worth it IMO.