Old 03-31-24, 05:56 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But you see, weight does matter to some people, even if they are not racing, even if it doesn’t matter to you.

And are you telling us that, all else being equal, you’d opt for a 40# MTB over a 35# MTB? If so, why?

I do loaded touring. If I wanted a new bike and there were choices that were otherwise equal, I’d certainly want to know how the weights compare because I wouldn’t want to have to pedal appreciably more weight.
I tested my 17 lbs Kestrel RT-1000 against my 35 lbs+ Trek Marlin 6 once to see the difference in time riding the same 100 KM route with 3K of climb. I do not have power meters so this is highly anecdotal. To my surprise I was only 15 minutes faster on this course with the Kestrel. Being on a drop bar vs a flat bar likely had as much to do with my time difference as weight. I have rotator cuff injuries so being upright is less taxing on me. I even prefer the 45mm Marathons that are 1KG each for the reliability.

I am considering converting the Kestrel to a flat bar bike as Kestrel even sold the RT-1000 as a Hybrid BITD.
This would make a great comfy all day bike for me at 17 lbs where speed, distance and endurance would matter.

All I am stating is it is not that big a deal for me to push a heavy bike.
I am considering using the MTB for a week long tour in the SoCal mountains when I get the chance.
I have taken the MTB up HC and Cat 1 climbs and it is tough but not impossible.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-31-24 at 06:04 PM.