Old 04-01-24, 12:06 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, it's cracked. Either replace the whole chain or splice in another quick-link.

But the crack begs the question: why did it happen? Did you soak the chain at some point with a non-petroleum degreaser like "Simple Green?" Prolonged exposure to such cleaners can lead to hydrogen embrittlement and failure.
Just 2-3 rounds of mineral spirits to degrease through the Park Tool chain cleaning tool, let it evaporate (10-15 minutes or so), and hit each pin with a drop of ProLink chain lube...same procedure I've always followed that has never caused issues on any other chain. I also generally don't degrease very often, I usually just add more lube and wipe down since the bike is ridden on nice days.

Only thing I can think is that this latest ride that caused me to clean/lube the chain and notice it was the only dirty ride the bike has ever been through - I am a fair weather rider who only rides on nice, dry sunny days, but I couldn't help myself and let myself ride through tons of snow melt slop the other day. Took five hours to clean/lube/detail every square mm of the bike afterwards, yikes. Next time I'll just resist the temptation and stick to nice days. Only thing I can think of is some piece of nasty grit got right in there just right on this particular ride and it cracked, but I'll never know...gravel/MTB are subjected to far worse conditions on the regular.

Durty:

Purty: