View Single Post
Old 04-01-24, 12:47 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Liked 164 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Very cool @Tundra_Man
I rode to work today. This is the third time recently I took a significant ride and forgot to hit the record button on my app. My spouse suggested I keep a spreadsheet to log these rides, and I didn't like the idea, but now I just started the spreadsheet. It's OCD to want to record every silly ride, but hey, it's my thing. I wish I had one of those computers that know when to start, but I don't.
Despite my relatively young age (mid 30's), I'm rather old school when it comes to very specific technologies and I don't Strava or any other similar fitness trackers. Not because I don't know how to use it or don't have a smart phone, I just choose not to. For my rides, I have a basic non-gps cycling computer that tracks distance, speed, average, etc. Cateye is my brand of choice. For runs, I use google maps ahead of time to know the distance, or route it after the fact. I generally don't run with a phone and only ride with a phone in case of emergency way out in the middle of nowhere.
ANYWAYS, point I'm getting to is I'm tracking all of my riding and running miles as well as total elevation gain plus the days I commute. Doing it extra old school by writing it down on my calendar in the kitchen, though I might do an excel spreadsheet next year.
I don't find it OCD to track that stuff, just a fun way to see how consistent I am with my exercise. I can also look back and see clearly when I was struggling with an injury, out of town for a few days, or ramping up/ramping down leading up to a big race or ride.