Old 04-01-24, 06:17 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
Ron, questions for you. You own both 16 and 20 inch wheeled bikes. I've read several times among these posts that 16 inch folders are only good for a few miles, more of a destination hookup than just pleasure riding. I want your opinion on this as you seem to have the most experience on these forums with the 16 inch wheel. My daily greenway jaunt is usually 8 to 12 miles. Is this too much for a 16 inch folder to ride comfortably? Thanks your opinion is valued.
Dogg, answers (hopefully) for you. When riding day in and day out, as in commuting or touring, two considerations are paramount: comfort and durability. When it comes to durability, there is no reason why a 16" (305) bike should be less durable than a bigger bike save for the increased wear on tires as they have to rotate more to cover a given distance. Hubs and spokes, maybe, but by the same token, a smaller wheel is stronger holding other factors constant. Low riding RD? Don't ride offroad, and be deliberate and mindful of how you take a depression on the road. I build my own bikes so I am certain that all parts are solid and the points of vulnerability.

Comfort, well, again, save for their smaller dimension which makes fitting taller people more difficult, there is no fundamental reason why a 16" bike should be less comfy at the contact points. They take the same saddles, pedals and grips as larger bikes, and you can dial in the riding position to a good degree. Road chatter and bumps, of course, will be more noticeable, so you gotta ride in good or better roads. We don't have the best roads here, but I ride most of them with a 16" bike. After a while, it becomes instinct. The short-wheelbase on some models is a double-edged sword. The upside is that they are highly maneuverable, nimble and a blast to ride. The downside is that you can get into trouble if you don't know what you're doing and you can't take your mind off the steering. No hands, forget it. Having said all of that, yes, a 20" bike will be more comfy and smooth, but the question is not whether A is greater than B, but rather whether B is good enough. Only you can answer that. As for me, I always find myself reaching for the Gust 16" cuz it's just so fun to ride and its quirky X-factor, despite the disadvantages I've mentioned.