View Single Post
Old 04-01-24, 11:21 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentinel1
Good post all you say is true. And I can only go on my personal experiences with the Tern Verge bikes I own. They supposedly have weight limits of around 105 to 110kg. Ive weighed between 85 to 92kg in the time I've ridden them. So they wouldnt have been put under any great stress in that area.

I also primarily ride on paved roads. So no extreme stresses there either. A bike like the X11 will go forever. Its immaculate. I haven't had to touch the hydraulic brakes in 7 years. Or tune the gears. They are insane quality. But that frame is immaculate too. And there's no give even in the handle bar stem after 7 years. This is why I am so passionate and defensive about the Verge model. I cannot see how it could fail unless abused. A moderate cyclist like myself averaging 12 miles a day. The bikes gonna last a lifetime.

I have Friends who do mountain biking. And they've broken 2 grand mountain bikes in a week. Because of the extreme uneven stresses they put the bike through. Bike riding is not a level playing field. Constantly banging the frame from a height onto hard ground and rocks. Is a whole other ball game.
Good post. Well-reasoned.

It reminds me, a friend of mine, I think 6 years ago, built up an electric bike for his wife to commute long distances, before a bike with that capability was common or moderately priced. He used as a foundation, a downhill mountain race bike, mega-travel suspension front and rear due to expected road speeds, in good condition. I asked why. (New Zealand accent): "Uh... because you can drop it off a 5-story building and it'll be unscathed."